NLP for coping with dysgraphia
A girl contacted me as soon as asking for assist recommending faculties in her space that will be appropriate for her 9-year-old grandson, who had been identified with extreme dysgraphia. I used to be impressed to cross on right here precisely what I beneficial to her to assist many (grand)mother and father who need the very best for his or her severely identified youngsters. I hope you’ll reap and apply its worth and unfold the phrase to these in want.
As quickly as somebody has the next was identified: the phrase prognosis promotes the concept the identified individual is sick or one thing is unsuitable and it ought to keep that approach perpetually and everybody ought to work round it, however no with it. Then the content material of the prognosis [in this case severe dysgraphia] provides one other psychological label. The hazard of labels is that they penetrate the id of the identified individual and supply a handy excuse. [to the diagnosed person AND all persons around the diagnosed person] in order to not query the situation later and thus not take motion. As soon as we’re labeled as x, we’ve got an on the spot rationalization for many issues and may proceed to reside complacently.
Do not let that occur; dysgraphia can also be one of many “circumstances” that may be improved. This is how.
1. Don’t mark the labels positioned in entrance of the kid. it won’t enable him to hold it in his id and weaken for the remainder of his life. Do not let the labels block her motivation to eradicate the situation.
2. Folks with writing difficulties typically imagine that there’s something unsuitable with their mind or the motor of their fingers/arms. This can be a FAITH that may be eradicated. Taking motion as a substitute of permitting your self to cover behind diagnostic labels will in the end show the idea invalid / ridiculous.
3. Educate the individual to make use of the visible expertise they have already got. Folks with literacy studying difficulties are all the time extremely visible.
EXERCISE 1:Ask the individual to think about their fridge at dwelling, what colour is the door, how does it open, open it, look contained in the fridge and inform you 3 issues they’ll see. He’ll inform you not solely that, but additionally the place the three gadgets are within the fridge. And with wonderful ardour and precision. Have enjoyable with this!
EXERCISE 2:Ask him to inform you about his favourite sports activities crew. what colours the gamers put on, what their jerseys are, the place their names and participant numbers are, and so on. You will note how a lot element he’ll be capable to talk. If he is into different actions, go together with one thing he is acquainted with. I cite sports activities for example as an example the precept. These 2 workouts will show to you that his visible expertise are EXCELLENT.
EXERCISE 3:Ask him to select an object close to him, similar to a glass, and take a look at it for 15 seconds, then shut his eyes. Along with his eyes closed, ask him to explain what number of glasses he sees in his creativeness. He’ll see some. Then repeat the method and listen to how way more of the cup he says the second time round. Do that course of a number of occasions a day for a number of weeks with a special object every time. Make it a enjoyable sport so he finds it enjoyable to do. This can sharpen his observational expertise and reminiscence.
4. We now have now established that human visible expertise are totally practical. We’re at a stage the place he has been doing 3 workouts for just a few weeks and his observational expertise might be a lot sharper. Now give him an object, similar to a cup, to attract together with his eyes [= to follow the shape of the cup with his eyes as if drawing it in his imagination] as a result of he seems to be at it. When he can do that, ask him to attract it on paper. If he can, you’ve got laid the groundwork for profitable writing. If he cannot, draw a quite simple form (eg a star) on the paper, flip the web page and ask him to repeat precisely what he sees line by line. Encourage him to take his time. He’ll do it – very efficiently.
5. As soon as he succeeds in duplicating a trophy or star for sufficient rounds [this may take a few attempts, but stick with it and give him time], you’re prepared to present him numbers to repeat precisely the identical approach: write the quantity on the paper and switch it over. Let him copy line by line. Numbers are simpler than letters, so as soon as he is mastered the numbers, he’ll be prepared for the letters. Begin with uppercase letters as a result of they’re extra completely different than lowercase letters.
6. As soon as he can copy the whole lot you give him, he’ll be capable to write numbers and letters in 2’s, 3’s and 4’s in addition to phrase syllables.
7. After which the phrases will observe simply.
8. VERY IMPORTANT POINT. Whenever you begin drawing one thing on paper, place it on the wall at or barely above the individual’s eye stage. It’s because he’ll course of it within the visible subject. NEVER let him write whereas holding the paper in his lap or groin, as you’ll be holding him in feelings which might be more likely to be unfavorable. [e.g. “I can’t write”, or “I’m terrible at writing”, or “I hate writing”]. All the time take him out of his emotions [his lap] and as much as his visible subject [his eye level].
It’s price investing in giant sheets of paper designed to stay on flipcharts. They appear like big post-it notes and might be caught on the wall with out marking it.
#NLP #dealing #dysgraphia